Google+ Will Overtake Facebook By 2016
The running joke in social media circles is that Google+ is a wasteland. No one goes there or pays attention to anything posted there. Facebook and Twitter remain royalty with all other networks orbiting them. The more this myth is believed by communications pros, the more we do a disservice to ourselves and to our clients. Facebook is dying. Slowly but surely, it is committing suicide. I won’t be so bold to say that Google foresaw this when it launched G+, but clearly it has positioned itself as a viable alternative since Facebook went public.
G+ launched in September of 2011 with as much anticipation as skepticism based on Google’s previous entries into the social sphere (Buzz and Wave anyone?). So where are we now 15 months later? Google announced 500+ million people signed up for the service with 235 million passively involved (e.g. using Hangout feature or +1) and 135 million are using all features of the service. So, less than a year and a half in, Google+ has half the number of Facebook users; generally accepted at 1 billion.
The mobile space is an area G+ is poised to overtake Facebook very quickly. Facebook’s mobile apps leave much to be desired. Difficult to use, the Facebook experience on your phone is completely different from what you experience on your computer. Compare that to Google+. Its recently redesigned apps for iOS simulate the experience from your computer as closely as any app I’ve ever used. There’s not feature that’s missing, the design is gorgeous, and the ease of use is amazing. All of this is great, but none of this is why Facebook is going the way of the old MySpace.
Facebook doesn’t have a viable business model. Its stock has been up and (mostly) down, currently sitting at $26.26; about $12 below its IPO of $38. It can’t sell its advertising effectively, it is grasping at straws at new ways to create revenue, and those new ways tend to draw massive backlash. Google on the other hand, doesn’t have to worry about monetizing G+. It simply adds the data it generates to bolster its search product. That means Google can cater to the needs of its users without worrying about its stockholders. A company whose stock continues to drop is a company hemorrhaging cash. As Facebook continues to put its revenue needs above the experience of its users, it will continue to push people to G+. My prediction is that Google+ has as many or more active users than Facebook by New Year’s Day 2016.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Huge loss for #Hawkeyes fans with the passing of Jim Zabel. We'll miss you. 1 day ago
- RT @Adam_Jacobi: RIP Jim Zabel. You were our crazy loving uncle and Hawkeye sports will never be the same without you and your voice. 1 day ago
- RT @MrMarcusEsquire: Wow RIP Jim Zabel. So glad I got to meet the most interesting man in the world. You did the hawks proud! I LOVE IT I L… 1 day ago
- Congressman’s Misuse Of Bible Verse Belies Bad Theology And Ideology On Food Stamps thkpr.gs/10TxNfk via @thinkprogress 1 day ago
- RT @JGoldsborough: RT @DannyParkins A hero at #Royals game. 14 yr old girl's heart stopped and K-Crew member @sassyRNbarbie performed CPR &… 1 day ago
- @michaelcalhoun I have violent feelings about those who start the wave at sporting events. 1 day ago
- @lmeling Happy to! 1 day ago
- @kilby76 @sebrusk A specific example escapes me, but any brand that simply broadcasts is failing hard. #mediachat 1 day ago
- Tips for Parents ~ emotional care for children after disaster on.fb.me/13HABgM #Oklahoma #DT @operationSAFE 1 day ago
- RT @lmeling: RT @unrefugeeagency: RT if you believe where you live should not determine whether you live. ^TK ^lm 1 day ago
- Dahm out as Iowa baseball coach thegazette.com/2013/05/23/dah… <-- In other news, our baseball program has a "rich history/tradition". I was unaware 1 day ago
- @mercerstine For the record, even Jon Stewart thinks POTUS is awful in how he gets scandal news: thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/… 1 day ago
- @mercerstine My credentials are certified anti-tin-foil-hat, for the record. Voted Obama in ’08. Libertarian in 12. Just so you’re aware. 1 day ago
- @mercerstine If you say so. POTUS saying he found out about scandals thru news is either lying or incompetent staff, yes? 1 day ago
- @mercerstine @laurenkgray Given his "how he found out" explanations on IRS/AP stuff, one could say he's a child as well. 1 day ago
- RT @LacyMB: Ugh, my heart: Helen Mirren Has Tea with Dying Boy After Actual Queen Says No. (With corgis, too!) bit.ly/12ZJjEG 1 day ago
- @KCIAirport Thanks! Always enjoy KCI. Layout is SO convenient, IMO. 1 day ago
- Good to be home. Well, home-ish. (@ Kansas City International Airport (MCI) - @kciairport w/ 20 others) 4sq.com/10psBwx 1 day ago
- Amazingly, this guy got nary a phone call on the flight. Who woulda thunk it. [pic] — path.com/p/1ooef8 1 day ago
- RT @komuMegan: @komunews Pettis Co Community Partnership &Sedalia Mothers against Meth hold mtng @1:30 to try 2 establish Drug Endangered C… 1 day ago
Comments About My Ruminations
|clothing on Could the Survival of Facebook…|
|Cara on Could the Survival of Facebook…|
|http://tinyurl.com/t… on Could the Survival of Facebook…|
|Matt LaCasse on Google+ Will Overtake Facebook…|
|Kirk Hazlett, APR, F… on Google+ Will Overtake Facebook…|