The running joke in social media circles is that Google+ is a wasteland. No one goes there or pays attention to anything posted there. Facebook and Twitter remain royalty with all other networks orbiting them. The more this myth is believed by communications pros, the more we do a disservice to ourselves and to our clients. Facebook is dying. Slowly but surely, it is committing suicide. I won’t be so bold to say that Google foresaw this when it launched G+, but clearly it has positioned itself as a viable alternative since Facebook went public.
G+ launched in September of 2011 with as much anticipation as skepticism based on Google’s previous entries into the social sphere (Buzz and Wave anyone?). So where are we now 15 months later? Google announced 500+ million people signed up for the service with 235 million passively involved (e.g. using Hangout feature or +1) and 135 million are using all features of the service. So, less than a year and a half in, Google+ has half the number of Facebook users; generally accepted at 1 billion.
The mobile space is an area G+ is poised to overtake Facebook very quickly. Facebook’s mobile apps leave much to be desired. Difficult to use, the Facebook experience on your phone is completely different from what you experience on your computer. Compare that to Google+. Its recently redesigned apps for iOS simulate the experience from your computer as closely as any app I’ve ever used. There’s not feature that’s missing, the design is gorgeous, and the ease of use is amazing. All of this is great, but none of this is why Facebook is going the way of the old MySpace.
Facebook doesn’t have a viable business model. Its stock has been up and (mostly) down, currently sitting at $26.26; about $12 below its IPO of $38. It can’t sell its advertising effectively, it is grasping at straws at new ways to create revenue, and those new ways tend to draw massive backlash. Google on the other hand, doesn’t have to worry about monetizing G+. It simply adds the data it generates to bolster its search product. That means Google can cater to the needs of its users without worrying about its stockholders. A company whose stock continues to drop is a company hemorrhaging cash. As Facebook continues to put its revenue needs above the experience of its users, it will continue to push people to G+. My prediction is that Google+ has as many or more active users than Facebook by New Year’s Day 2016.
- RT @leap36: Lost my IPad mini at toys-r-us today in Gurnee,Illinois,you will get a reward if you find it, it's in a denim case,email LBTV3… 6 hours ago
- RT @edsbs: I like taking my glasses off and pretending Copeland is Waka Flocka. 7 hours ago
- @Lord_Beezle There was a warp setting. And it was glorious. 10 hours ago
- I'm at @TheLocalMpls (Minneapolis, MN) w/ 3 others 4sq.com/17M7Um2 11 hours ago
- This was waiting for me in my room. Any ideas? [pic] — path.com/p/3g0f8r 11 hours ago
- Home for the next few days. (@ Hilton Minneapolis - @hiltonhotels w/ 4 others) 4sq.com/12kBadj 11 hours ago
- Greetings Minnesotans. Floyd sends his regards. #Hawkeyes (@ Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP)) 4sq.com/15WUV13 12 hours ago
- Don’t worry folks. Just because the plane has pulled up doesn’t mean we’re boarding any time soon. 14 hours ago
- RT @keviniewoo: Noted. Twitter Vines Get Shared 4x More Than Online Video via @advertisingweek: adweek.it/11o1p7K 15 hours ago
- @reneehulshof LOOK AT ME! I’M KING OF THE WORLD!!! 1 day ago
- @reneehulshof That said, this situation needs to be made an example of so it doesn’t happen again in the future. 1 day ago
- @reneehulshof That’s the thing. It has zero to do with politics as this has happened in the past with GOP. It’s EVERYONE /bangs head on desk 1 day ago
- @YQJ31 @Garwin7 @karatikki Morning commute a bit longer as i drop the kid off; maybe 20? In a small town, gas prices hurt, more manageable 1 day ago
- @reneehulshof It’s unreal and completely infuriating. This is Stalin type stuff. Everyone in DC holding office should be removed; start over 1 day ago
- So the #IRS defense is, “No, no, no. We’re not partisan! Merely incompetent and stupid!” Gotcha. That’s a winning defense for sure. 1 day ago
- @karatikki @Garwin7 To be fair, my current commute is all of 3-5 minutes depending on traffic. Still. I’d like the option. 1 day ago
- @Garwin7 @karatikki @YQJ31 Fair point. 1 day ago
- @Garwin7 @karatikki @YQJ31 I’m in full favor of everyone working from home. 1 day ago
- @karatikki @YQJ31 @Garwin7 Not how it works, you’re right. But it’s how it SHOULD work. 1 day ago
- @reneehulshof @adriennemay Mind. Blown. 1 day ago
Comments About My Ruminations
|clothing on Could the Survival of Facebook…|
|Cara on Could the Survival of Facebook…|
|http://tinyurl.com/t… on Could the Survival of Facebook…|
|Matt LaCasse on Google+ Will Overtake Facebook…|
|Kirk Hazlett, APR, F… on Google+ Will Overtake Facebook…|